Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Health insurance and moving out of state

Hi there and thanks to all of you for the wonderful job you're doing. I currently live in Miami, Florida and am employed by a large company. I'm currently insured by this company and have CIGNA PPO health insurance. I'm thinking of moving to Georgia next year and am wondering if I will be able to have COBRA coverage in Georgia. The company in which I'm employed with is only in South Florida. If so, how much more expensive is COBRA than what I usually pay which is around $65?

thank you!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It depends on the CIGNA PPO. Under COBRA, if coverage isn't available because you move out of the network area, you have no access to COBRA. However, with larger national healthcare companies like CIGNA, UHC, Aetna, etc., their PPOs often have networks in many states. So if an employee moves out of the general area where the employer is, there could be COBRA coverage. Does your company have a benefits hotline? If so, you could call and ask what happens with COBRA if you move out of state. The cost for COBRA is 102 % of the actual premium. I am sure that the $65 you pay represents only a portion of your employer's actual premium. For example, many employers only charge 20% of the cost. If this were the case for you, that would mean that the premium was $325 with $65 being your 20% and COBRA would be $331.50. However, this is just an example as I don't know what your employer's premium is and/or what percentage of it you pay.

University Health Insurance Policies
Insurance Testing