The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Health insurance and moving out of state
Aug 21, 2007

Hi there and thanks to all of you for the wonderful job you're doing. I currently live in Miami, Florida and am employed by a large company. I'm currently insured by this company and have CIGNA PPO health insurance. I'm thinking of moving to Georgia next year and am wondering if I will be able to have COBRA coverage in Georgia. The company in which I'm employed with is only in South Florida. If so, how much more expensive is COBRA than what I usually pay which is around $65?

thank you!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It depends on the CIGNA PPO. Under COBRA, if coverage isn't available because you move out of the network area, you have no access to COBRA. However, with larger national healthcare companies like CIGNA, UHC, Aetna, etc., their PPOs often have networks in many states. So if an employee moves out of the general area where the employer is, there could be COBRA coverage. Does your company have a benefits hotline? If so, you could call and ask what happens with COBRA if you move out of state. The cost for COBRA is 102 % of the actual premium. I am sure that the $65 you pay represents only a portion of your employer's actual premium. For example, many employers only charge 20% of the cost. If this were the case for you, that would mean that the premium was $325 with $65 being your 20% and COBRA would be $331.50. However, this is just an example as I don't know what your employer's premium is and/or what percentage of it you pay.

University Health Insurance Policies
Insurance Testing

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint