Application questions?

Recently returned to work for a municipality. I plan to convert from an individual policy into their group health, disability and life insurance. However, the forms ask me to check whether or not I have been diagnosed with HIV/AIDS and state I must respond truthfuly to all questions to avoid coverage/probationary consequences. How can I insure my confidentiality will be protected if I was requested to return the completed forms back to my supervisor in the next office? Am I required to fill out the medical history section if I have continued pre-existing coverage anyway? If I refuse to cooperate, check 'no' or ask to confer with the underwriters privately, won't this raise even more workplace suspicions since I am newly hired? Please help!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

By law, anything you put on the application is confidential and there are legal consequences if your employer fails to protect your privacy. However, you do have to complete the questionnaire honestly. One thought would be to request to submit your application directly to your insurer. Everyone has a right to their privacy and I am surprisd that your employer would want the risk involved with knowing an employee's health status, unless required for the duties of his job.

Changing Life Insurance Companies
What is a HIPAA policy?