SSDI and HIV

Hello

I just got approved for 100% permanent and total disabled rating by the Veterans Affair mostly due to being HIV positive (AIDS)with opportunistic infections like Neuropathy, Chronic fatigue, arthritis, skin conditions, malaise, chronic diaherra, recurrent bacterial infections and pneumonias. About four month ago my genotype test can back that I was resistant to the meds I was on and they changed them. Im resistant to many of the medications. Im having a lot of trouble due to the new meds. On top of that I suffer from severe depression with anxiety and Hep C. My conditions have gotten worse and my memory is now suffering since starting on the new meds. My doctor doesnt want to change them because anything else will have worse side effects.

What are my chances of getting approved for SSDI? I was told that if a person has a terminal condition that the Social Security will expedite the claim. I was also told that since HIV is now a manageable condition that it is much harder to get approved for SSDI. My doctor signed off on form SSA-4814. I have gathered all my medical records from the VA. What else can I do to improve my chances? I'm so sorry to bother you with my problems. I just need some good advice from someone that knows the system. I lost with all this. Thank you for everything.

Thanks

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I think you are taking the right steps. However, you should be prepared to be denied by the SSA and be forced to appeal their denial. If this happens, there are law firms that assist people with appealing SSA denials. Contact your local Legal Aid group for assistance.

LTD (Independent Medical Evaluation) and SSD Benefits
Changing Life Insurance Companies