LTD (Independent Medical Evaluation) and SSD Benefits

I have been HIV positive since the very early 80s. I began taking medications in the late 80s, and am very treatment experienced. I was healthy until 2003, when I became very ill and was hospitalized several times. My long term disability carrier has given me a great deal of trouble paying my disability, and they are now forcing me to go to an independent medical review. I'm willing to do this, but it just seems as though this is another way for them to try to stop my disability payments. In addition to my HIV, I have developed diabetes, and avascular necrosis in both hips. I want to work, but my illnesses and related side effects make it difficult for me to be consistently healthy enough. (Prior to going out on disability, I was a senior level executive with over 17 years experience.) If my disability carrier cancels my coverage, will this automatically cancel my Social Security Disability, or are they two completely separate things? My disabiliy carrier (CIGNA) has given me nothing but problems from the start of my disability.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Loss of disability coverage from your LTD carrier will not cancel your SSDI.

Ending insurance/Lapse in coverage
SSDI and HIV