Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LTD (Independent Medical Evaluation) and SSD Benefits
Aug 17, 2007

I have been HIV positive since the very early 80s. I began taking medications in the late 80s, and am very treatment experienced. I was healthy until 2003, when I became very ill and was hospitalized several times. My long term disability carrier has given me a great deal of trouble paying my disability, and they are now forcing me to go to an independent medical review. I'm willing to do this, but it just seems as though this is another way for them to try to stop my disability payments. In addition to my HIV, I have developed diabetes, and avascular necrosis in both hips. I want to work, but my illnesses and related side effects make it difficult for me to be consistently healthy enough. (Prior to going out on disability, I was a senior level executive with over 17 years experience.) If my disability carrier cancels my coverage, will this automatically cancel my Social Security Disability, or are they two completely separate things? My disabiliy carrier (CIGNA) has given me nothing but problems from the start of my disability.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Loss of disability coverage from your LTD carrier will not cancel your SSDI.

Previous
Ending insurance/Lapse in coverage
Next
SSDI and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.