Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ending insurance/Lapse in coverage
Aug 17, 2007

Hi,

I recently moved to Massachusetts. My insurance coverage from school in California will end midnight on Thursday, August 16. I was diagnosed with HIV while under my school's insurance plan.

I believe I might be eligible for a no-cost health insurance plan provided by Massachustts state but the application process takes about three to four weeks. As a result, I will be without health insurance for up to a month.

My question is this: is there any concern about being without coverage for those few weeks in terms of future premiums/costs/acceptance into health insurace for having a pre-existing condition or whatever it's called? I've looked into getting short term private health insurance for the period when my application is pending but it looks to be quite expensive. If that doesn't work out, should I be concerned about not having insurance for up to a month - in terms of future premiums, insurance costs, and being accepted by insurance companies? Are there any other concerns to be worried about (besides the obvious risk of being uninsured)?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

With a pre-existing condition, it can be risky to be without coverage. What if you don't qualify for the no cost plan in Massachusetts? What will you do? Will you look for a job with health benefits? Or will you try to purchase an individual health policy? You should think about this.

However, there are some safeguards in the law(HIPAA) that provide protection. Under HIPAA, a plan cannot have a pre-existing condition clause that lasts for longer than 12 months (unless you are a late enrollee) and the plan must recognize prior periods of coverage (called Creditable Coverage) towards that pre-existing condition exclusion period as long as you didn't have a break in coverage of 63 days. The important thing is not to have a break in coverage that is 63 days or more. If you don't qualify for the no cost plan and you don't have the opportunity for coverage under a group plan with an employer, you could apply for a HIPAA policy. A HIPPA policy would be available to you as long as you don't have a break in coverage of 63 days or more. However, HIPAA policies are typically more expensive with lesser benefits thaan a policy issued at standard rates.

Previous
LTD Process of Approval/Disapproval
Next
LTD (Independent Medical Evaluation) and SSD Benefits

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.