LTD Process of Approval/Disapproval

I was diagnosed with AIDS this past March (2007) with PCP and major wieght loss as well as many other issues. My TCell Count was 37 and Viral Load in the tens of thousands. I started an Atripla Regiment in April 2007. About a month or so later my short term disability ended. I applied for LTD weeks ago and have been waiting on a decision. My health has improved drastically. My last T-Cell check was 252 (not sure of viral load). I was approved for Social Security Disability to begin next month (Sept). I fell skeptical of the LTD company however. I don't understand. First the had me send in over 20 peices of paper as documentation to prove my illness was not pre-existing. Then they sent paperwork to the "nurses" in thier orgainzation for review. Now my claim is back in the hands of the claims examiner who is reviewing to make a decision. I can't seem to understand why all the red tape. Further, although I have improved, one would believe it is much to soon to rule out my disability (its only been four months since I took ill). My wieght has picked up and I do feel better. There are some side effects to the medication and I do feel like its time to at least start pursuing some kind of work interests, but that will take a while to happen. My question is about approval vs. disapproval. What criteria do most insurers use to make that determination? Also, isn't AIDS considered a disability? At lest in the first year of a diagnosis?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Each insurance company has their own data base of statistics and underwriting requirements. An AIDS diagnosis is not necessarily considered a disability. Many individuals who are living with AIDS are working, many in high level, stressful jobs. However, for some, the disease and/or the medications render them unable to work. Each diagnosis is different and subject to underwriting.

MSA/HSA?
Ending insurance/Lapse in coverage