The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jul 27, 2007

Hello. I am a 20 year old male and diagnosed at age 17. I have already been diagnosed with full blown AIDS and have been on medication sine December 2005. My question is, My medications make me very weak and tired and it gives me liquid diarrea to the point that it is uncontrolable at times. Due to my weakness and tiredness from the medications I have not been able to keep a stable job, so i set up an appointment for Disability and SSI, I went to the appointment with all my needed material and had the interview, so now all I have to do is wait. Althouth my tcells are about 429, will i even be approved for disability? Also, is there food stamp benefits or other while I wait for the approval?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You state that you are 20 years old and have applied for Social Security disability benefits. Are you currently working? Were you applying for state disaibility benefits? The reason I am asking these questions is that in order to qualify for Social Security disability benefits, you must be inusred under Social Security with the required number of credits. I believe the requirement is 40 credits which equates to approximately 10 years of working in jobs subject to Social Security withholding.

If you are working and live in a state that offers short term disability benefits - California, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Hawaii - you might qualify for these short term benefits. The terms of payment (amount and period of payment) depends on the state.

If you are employed in a job with benefits, do you have short or long term disability benefits through your employer? If so, you should pursue these.

Other things to check with would be food stamps, Medicaid, etc. All of these will vary by the programs offered in your state. Local welfare agencies should be able to assist you with this.

life insurance for HIV-affected
Self Employed

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint