Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Disability benifit from my workplace
Jul 2, 2007

I currently collect short term disability payments from my workplace due to chronic back and leg pain (sciatica). After six months (180 days), there are also long-term disability benefits from my company. I am on my fifth month absent from work. I am afraid that my company will let me go due to the fact I am not able to go back to work soon enough. How soon can a company let go of an employee (legally) while on disability? I am concerned about health insurance as well. How do I find income and continue treatment if my company decides to let me go? What is the best alternative if my company lets me go Cobra (very expensive), SSI, medical, unemployment insurance? HELP!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You should arrange a meeting with your HR department to determine what your options are. Ask about your FMLA rights, what medical coverage (if any) is offered during long term disbility, COBRA costs if your medical coverage ends, how to file for SS disability, etc. They should be able to assist you with this.

Previous
Insurance for Aids/HIV patients
Next
COBRA and Kaiser Permanente

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.