insurance

I have insurance thru Aetna. My hiv doc want to put me on Hiv meds and want me to apply for drug assistance thru (ohio hiv drug assistance program). After looking at the application, i'm afraid I might loose my insurance coverage and perhaps even my fulltime job in order to qualify for the assistance. I'm not ready to loose anything I have right now for the sake of this meds, yet I need them. Help.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I don't know how the Ohio HIV drug assististance program works. Is your Aetna policy an indiviudual policy or are you covered by Aetna through a group health plan offered by your emplpoyer? If it is employer-sponsored coverage, the plan would probably coordinate coverage with the assistance program. Your summary plan description for the plan would explain how the coordiantion would work. If it is an individual policy, you need to check the terms of your policy to determon what would happen if you received assistance through the Ohio program.

I am not sure what you are referring to with respect to loss of your job. Does the Ohio program require you to limit your work hours and/or earn less than a certain amount to qualify? It might be best to discuss this with a legal aid group in your area.

Insurance Lapse
health insurance coverage