The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Private Health Ins. for HIV+
Apr 24, 2007

I have an opportunity to leave my current employment, good benefits & retirement, to eventually work and be responsible for 2 family owned small businesses with good income potential. For my mental and physical well being I would prefer to continue the family operations but do not know what options I have as an HIV + person. Neither business is large enough to offer group health insurance. Advise appreciated.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You could take COBRA coverage from your current employer for 18 months and at the end of the 18 months buy a HIPAA policy. You should check with your Benefits Department to determine the cost of COBRA and with a local broker to determine what HIPAA policies are available and the associated cost. A HIPAA policy will only be available to you if you have COBRA for the full 18 months and do not have a break in coverage of more than 63 days after COBRA ends.

Health thru Domestic partner

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint