The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Health thru Domestic partner
Apr 23, 2007

I was diagnosed HIV+ in Aug 2006. I began meds a little over a month ago. I currently have medical coverage with Kaiser Permanente in California through my Domestic Partner's employer (this coverage was in place long before I was diagnosed). My concern is what happens if my partner decides to switch jobs? Can I continue with Kaiser as an individual? If my partner's new employer does offer DP benefits, would I be eligible now that I have a "pre-existing" condition?

Fortunately, my partner has no plans to change jobs any time soon, but it is something that I worry about on a regular basis. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.


Response from Ms. Franzoi

Unfortunately, domestic partners don't have COBRA protection. If your partner were to change companies and the new company did not offer domestic partner coverage, it is unlikely that your partner's existing employer would allow you to carry COBRA-like coverage. Some employers offer COBRA-like coverage to domestic partners in the event of the death of the employee or upon termination of employment by the employee but only if the employee elects COBRA. If the new employer offers domestic partner coverage, you would be eligible for the coverage, regardless of your pre-existing condition. In addition, if the new plan has a pre-existing condition exclusion, it would have to recognize your prior coverage towards this exclusion period which can't be greater than 12 months, as long as you don't have a break in coverage of 63 days or more.

Clarification of Insurance Coverage
Private Health Ins. for HIV+

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint