Need Health Coverage that is affordable

I am 58 yrs old with pre-existing conditions (COPD)and here is the problem. My condition has been under control for years by mediation and taking care of myself. I am currently on COBRA and under HIPPA I have conversion options when my COBRA runs out. The conversion price is sky high with Medical Mutal. It is more three times plus the cost than what I am paying under COBRA. I knew the conversion would be higher however not this high. There is no way I can pay over $1,600 per mo. for the health coverage conversion. I am currently paying $355 per month for COBRA and you can see the huge price difference. Because of my pre-exiting condition --no other carrier wants to cover me. I have checked. What can I do? I will be not have health coverage after COBRA because it is priced at an amount that I really don't know who could afford it. It is clear that Medical Mutual doesn't want me. What can I do? The law has provided means for the poeple to retain heath coverage but who can afford this rate? It appears to go against the purpose of what the law intended.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Given your health status, I think your options for an individual policy are limited to applying for the conversion policy with Medical Mutual or a HIPAA policy with any insurer in your area that offers individual polcies. A HIPAA policy might be more cost effective than a conversion but it will probably be more expensive than COBRA, depending on plan design such as deductible, out-of-pocket maximums, etc.

Moving - changing health ins co.
International Insurance for the Positive