The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Life Insurance Change
Apr 10, 2007

I am HIV positive and was able to acquire term life insurance through my employer without any medical questions bumpig it up to the maximum coverage over the years.

I was then laid off and paying the full cost myself is getting to be a challenge. I am at the mercy of wherever my former employer decides to move their insurance to. Less then a month later it was moved to some fly by night place that took months to find me in their system, has no web site and only takes paper checks to a P.O box. I do not feel secure with their new choice.

Is it possible to shop around for a better deal without disclosing my health status as long as I can prove I am currently covered? Is selling to a life settlement company something HIV positive people can still do if you are not sick?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

With an HIV+ status, there are few companies that offer life insurance on an individual basis and the coverage is limited - NY Life through AARP, Mutual of Omaha, Physician's Life and Gerber Life. Available coverage often is less than $10,000. Having existing coverage won't help.

Your best option is to continue to carry your conversion coverage. You might be able to reduce the face amount and thus reduce your premium. You'd have to check with the insurance company on this.

Viatical settlement companies still purchase policies but I do not know what their criteria is.

Private Insurance for HIV+?
Cancellation of Insurance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint