The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Apr 9, 2007

I had been on long-term disability for over 3 years. I'm getting 60% of my salary from Prudential, and I'm also getting SSDI. I have Medicare, as well as private medical insurance. I just had an interview last week with the company that I'd like to work for, but they don't have anything full-time. They explained to me that I could work as a consultant, which a lot of people do in my industry. I have already contacted Prudential before I even had the interview, and I was told if I got a full-time job my benefits would immediately end. I just sent out an email to the benefits department at my old company, and asked to have my long-term disability policy outlining freelance, and working as a consultant. I'm more of a full-time guy, and I don't know anything about consulting. I'm assuming I might have to take out my own long-term disability policy, but I'm not really sure. Any information would be very helpful to me. Thank you!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

There should be some language in your Prudential policy that addresses a residual disability benefit which allows a disabled person to attempt to return to the workforce with some level of security. It often porovides for a reduced LTD benefit and allows you to do this, often for a period of 12 months. Ask your former employer's benefits department how the residual disability benefit works or what benefits there are under the policy that would allow you to try to retuyrn to work.

Life Insurance for HIV Infected
Life Insurance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint