Pressure From Disability Insurance Company.

After 13 years on LTD and a couple of scrapes with the hereafter, the new wonderdrugs have allowed me to begin a structured, limited return-to-work plan. An income locked in 1994 dollars does not go very far. I need to earn money.

My doctor agreed to 8 hours a week to start. I'm training (and earning) for a clerical position which I can do from home. I dutifully notified my disability insurer and already they are turning the screws for me to increase working hours even though I do not actually have the job yet.

I have a long history of HIV treatment failure, treatment-related type 2 diabetes and plenty of other drug side effects. My viral load has never been undetectible, and my t-cells remain below 200. I seriously doubt I could ever feel well enough to work a full 40 weekly hours.

I've been around long enough to see the writing on the wall, and sadly, insurance companies don't care what happens to you after they dump you.

Should I find legal counsel now? Given my poor lab results, should I just forget about working to protect what health and benefits I have?

I'm at a crossroads.

Thanks, Bob

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I don't think you need an attorney, yet. However, you should carefully review the return to work provisions in the policy, including any residual disability benefits available when you do return to work. This will be helpful in maintaining your rights under the policy.

HIV testing
getting off spouses insurance