The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV testing
Apr 9, 2007

Hi Lynn I had a question regaurding HIV testing in a Health and Wellness Center that is provided from my employer. The center offers everything from to be able to see a doctor, perscriptions, X ray, Bloood work, and a fitness center. I have been living with HIV now for almost 2 years and in the begining since being diaognosed, I had gone to the wellness center to get my labs done. There they did everything that my HIV doctor listed to get tested for all the labs. Most recently, there has said to be a policy change stateing that the center can no longer do "extentsive blood work or complex blood work" there although "simple bloodwork would continue to be done there. the office basically printed up a flyer and posted it in there office window after you come into the office. The flyer states that due to stats regulations they are no longer able to complete complex blood work at there office. Prior to this all my labs were done there and no problems arose about this issue. Is this allowed? I would think that it sounds discriminatory , no just to me but to everyone. Where do they draw a line on who they treat and dont treat? Any informtion would be very helpful, or at least where I can be pointed to go to resolve this issue.


Response from Ms. Franzoi

Since there is no legal requirement for an employer to offer benefits through a Health and Wellness Center, the employer can design the program as he chooses as long as he doesn't use any information from the program to determine coverage and/or cost under the health plan.

Child at school
Pressure From Disability Insurance Company.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint