The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sharing information on ways to cover drug costs
Feb 26, 2007

Hello. Someone posted a question on 7/10/2003 and Ms. Breuer answered it (see below). I am writing this email to you, to offer a little bit of additional information. While it is true that persons with HIV can apply for ADAP if they no longer have any health insurance benefits to pay for their medicine, another option exists. This other option is called the "Health Insurance Continuation Program" in Georgia, but exists in all 50 states under different names. Basically, under this program the state government (with federal dollars, usually ADAP dollars) will agree to pay your insurance premiums if you loose your job (you must first activate COBRA) and then during the period in which COBRA is in place, it is your responsibility to convert from a group policy to an individual policy. When the conversion has taken place, then the state will pay the premiums for the individual policy. The maximum is usually something like $600 per month or in some states as much as $900 per month. The state government considers this to be a huge cost savings, since it is much cheaper to pay a monthly premium charge versus paying every month for the expensive ADAP program.

To learn more about this option, persons living with HIV should consult a case manager at a local HIV/AIDS service organization. Specifically, ask the case manager to let you know what options exist for the state to help with continuation of health insurance coverage after termination of employment.


Health Insurance Jul 10, 2003

In these unsteady financial times and the high cost of medication I find the need to ask, what would happen if I lost my job. As it is I live from pay check to pay check in NYC and barely have any savings. How would I be able to afford my much needed meds with no health insurance? Are there any agencies that address this issue? Your speedy respond would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Nervous Nelly

Response from Ms. Breuer

New York has a program to cover the cost of meds for people in your situation, called ADAP. Please contact your local AIDS service organization to ask about ADAP and getting yourself on the list. It's best if you can know ahead just what you'd need to do.

In the meantime, I suggest that you meet with your supervisor, ask for feedback about your job performance, explain that you want to do the best job possible, and generally make yourself irreplaceable at work. Don't mention your nervousness about losing your job. Just talk about how you can do an even better job. That way, you can replace worry with positive action. Go for it!

Response from Ms. Breuer

This system obscures your email address, so I don't have any way to address you, but thank you for this additional information on ways to cover the costs of HIV meds. I'm posting your information by changing the subject line of your message and putting it up with my reply. Thank you, Georgia Peach!

Do RN's need to disclose
Child at school

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint