advise on short term disability and cobra

Hi Lynn. If leaving a job, can one apply for short term disability and turn a group health insurance policy into cobra? And is there a wiser order to go after these things? Does my employer pay for disability or does it come from what I've paid in already? My health is my priority now and as I create my exit stategy from my current job I just want to cover myself until I resume the work force. Can you help? Thank you, Michael

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you leave your job because you are unable to work due to a disability and you either have an employer-sponsored short term disability plan or a state plan, you would be eligible for short term disability benefits.

COBRA is not related to short term disability. If you leave a job and your coverage ceases, you will be eligible for COBRA for 18 months. In addition, if you are determined to be totally disabled as defined by the Social Security Administration at the time you leave or within 60 days of COBRA benefits commencing, you would be eligible for 29 months of COBRA - 18 months at 102% of the cost and an additional 11 months at 150%.

LTD at work
Drug Co-pay mistake by insurer