LTD at work

I've been at my job for 20yrs. About 5 yrs. ago my union was able to get us LTD. I've been HIV+ for 19 yrs. The LTD infomation says that when you first are eligible to participate,the plan's pre-existing condition limitations apply. Then it says no benfits are payable for a disability that begins within 12 months of the effective date of coverage, if that disability is due to a pre-existing condition. If i understand this correctly anything that is caused by my HIV will not make me eligible for LTD. My doctor recently put me on total disabilty and off from work for 6 months and told me to file for LTD and SSI. I have money to make it for the 6 months but am concerned about not being eligible for either benfits. Can you help? Thanks for your time!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Since you were HIV+ at the time your disability insurance went into effect, if you were to become disabled during the first 12 moinths of coverage under your disability plan due to an HIV-related condition, you would not be eligible for a benfit. However, if you were to become disabled after 12 months of coverage, you would be eligible.

Can Blue Cross disclose my status to my employer?
advise on short term disability and cobra