Losing Insurance- Can't afford COBRA

I am returning to school as a full-time student and will only be able to work part-time. Because of this I will lose my employer sponsored health insurance. I live in an area where an HMO was never offered through AETNA so the plan I got stuck with is called a "Managed Care POS Plan" which is more costly to maintain through COBRA than an HMO according to my company's benefits manager. The monthly premium of this plan through COBRA will be $530.00 a month! I am shocked, scared, and thoroughly disgusted because I cannot afford these astronomical monthly payments. I know my options are close to non-existant here but can you please offer me any advice or options that I might be missing? I live in California and is it very complicated in applying for and receiving ADAP benefits?

Thank You,

Scared in Northern California

Response from Ms. Franzoi

There aren't any options that I can think of other than COBRA, unless the college you are attending offers some type of group plan for students. With an HIV diagnosis, you wouldn't be able to purchase an individual policy (except for a HIPAA policy which would only be available once your COBRA coverage ends).

Not totally honest on initial insurance application
Individual Health Insurance