Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Health Insurance While on LTD
Dec 18, 2006

Many questions on one paragraph!!!!!!!

I do have health insurance trough my employer, I do also have Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, if I have to go to short term disability, once it runs out it goes to long term, but what happens to my health insurance once I do get to long term disability? Do I still receive my health insurance trough my employer during the course of my long term disability? My benefits manager says that once we go into long term disability it is like going into permanent disability, my concern is I guess what do we do for health insurance while on long term disability until we qualify for disability benefits from SSA which still a bit over 30 years from now, do I have to carry my own health insurance policy and if it is like this, do you know of any insurance companies that will insure HIV positive? For how long does the employer have to offer you group health insurance once you go into long term disability? I am so sorry if my questions are confused but I guess I am so confused about all of this myself

HAPPY HOLLYDAYS!!!!!!!! From a VERY CONFUSED FELLOW

Response from Ms. Franzoi

In most companies, when an employee's employment ends due to disability, his health coverage stops and he is eligible for COBRA. Assuming the individual is determined by the SSA to be disabled at that time, or within 60 days, he will be eligible for 29 months of COBRA. Social Security Disability benefits commence after 6 months of disability and Medicare commences after 24 months of SS Disability.

I hope this helps you understand the system. Assuming a person is disabled as defined by SSA at the time his employement ends, COBRA will bridge him until he qualifies for Medicare.

Previous
New insurance and pre-existing conditions
Next
life insurance coverage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.