Health Insurance While on LTD

Many questions on one paragraph!!!!!!!

I do have health insurance trough my employer, I do also have Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, if I have to go to short term disability, once it runs out it goes to long term, but what happens to my health insurance once I do get to long term disability? Do I still receive my health insurance trough my employer during the course of my long term disability? My benefits manager says that once we go into long term disability it is like going into permanent disability, my concern is I guess what do we do for health insurance while on long term disability until we qualify for disability benefits from SSA which still a bit over 30 years from now, do I have to carry my own health insurance policy and if it is like this, do you know of any insurance companies that will insure HIV positive? For how long does the employer have to offer you group health insurance once you go into long term disability? I am so sorry if my questions are confused but I guess I am so confused about all of this myself

HAPPY HOLLYDAYS!!!!!!!! From a VERY CONFUSED FELLOW

Response from Ms. Franzoi

In most companies, when an employee's employment ends due to disability, his health coverage stops and he is eligible for COBRA. Assuming the individual is determined by the SSA to be disabled at that time, or within 60 days, he will be eligible for 29 months of COBRA. Social Security Disability benefits commence after 6 months of disability and Medicare commences after 24 months of SS Disability.

I hope this helps you understand the system. Assuming a person is disabled as defined by SSA at the time his employement ends, COBRA will bridge him until he qualifies for Medicare.

New insurance and pre-existing conditions
life insurance coverage