The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Expat Issues Too (2)
Dec 9, 2006

I have been diagnosed 2 years agao and have been on Sustiva + Kivexa for one year, covered under my employer's group insurance plan here in Canada.

I have been recently been offered expatriation employement in a developing country in Africa. I understand the risks associated with such an offer, but my heart is truly there, as I have worked as an expat for 4 years in very small countries in West Africa.

My question is this. How do I deal with a pre-employement medical exam? Can I refuse the HIV test? Will any insurance company alow an HIV positive employee to go to such developing countries considering my known HIV condition?

I am in good health and am thinking more and more or just shuting up, not disclose my status and "Stash up" my meds before going. This would be a 3 month fly in fly out arrangement so still plan on having my regular tests and check up performed everythree moonths..

Just not sure i I should disclose all this.

I want to go.

Response from Ms. Breuer

If I were you, I'd want to go, too. Here's what I suggest:

1. Talk over the plan with your physician, who can give you the best guidance about meds and care.

2. Check out the listings of countries that do not allow HIV-positive people to visit or work for longer than limited periods.

3. Since we are familiar with US law, but not Canadian law, put yourself in touch with a large, sophisticated AIDS organization in Canada to ask about the law in your case.

I wish you well, and hope you get to go!

aids and there affect
For HIPPA Policy, Must I First Be Denied Regular Policy?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint