Expat Issues Too (2)

I have been diagnosed 2 years agao and have been on Sustiva + Kivexa for one year, covered under my employer's group insurance plan here in Canada.

I have been recently been offered expatriation employement in a developing country in Africa. I understand the risks associated with such an offer, but my heart is truly there, as I have worked as an expat for 4 years in very small countries in West Africa.

My question is this. How do I deal with a pre-employement medical exam? Can I refuse the HIV test? Will any insurance company alow an HIV positive employee to go to such developing countries considering my known HIV condition?

I am in good health and am thinking more and more or just shuting up, not disclose my status and "Stash up" my meds before going. This would be a 3 month fly in fly out arrangement so still plan on having my regular tests and check up performed everythree moonths..

Just not sure i I should disclose all this.

I want to go.

Response from Ms. Breuer

If I were you, I'd want to go, too. Here's what I suggest:

1. Talk over the plan with your physician, who can give you the best guidance about meds and care.

2. Check out the listings of countries that do not allow HIV-positive people to visit or work for longer than limited periods.

3. Since we are familiar with US law, but not Canadian law, put yourself in touch with a large, sophisticated AIDS organization in Canada to ask about the law in your case.

I wish you well, and hope you get to go!

aids and there affect
For HIPPA Policy, Must I First Be Denied Regular Policy?