Student Insurance, 12 month 'Continuation Privilege', but not COBRA?

I am graduate student with HIV. I was reading through my school's student insurance policy brochure today and I noticed that the policy offers a 12-month "Continuation Privilege" after a student leaves the school but there is no mention of COBRA. Is it possible that a student insurance plan doesn't have to offer 18 months of COBRA if it offers this 12 month continuation privilege? And when this 12 month continuation privilege does end, is the process for applying for a HIPAA policy the same? (this all assuming I can't get a job with open enrollment health insurance immediately out of graduate school, heaven forbid)

Response from Ms. Franzoi

COBRA applies to employer-sponsored group health plans, except church plans. There is COBRA-like coverage offered under government plans. It sounds like your university offers student health coverage under some type of association plan and although not subject to COBRA offers COBRA-like coverage. As long as you don't have a break in coverage of 63 days or more once your coverage ends, you would be eligible for a HIPAA policy.

Converting Group Life to Individual Plan
Prexisting Condition