The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Required to notify employer of all medications
Jul 5, 2006

I read a response of yours to a question similar to mine. Our at-work management has told us, yet it is not written in our policies, we must inform them of medications we take. I've overheard "hallway discussions" where an employee will ask the H.R Director about blood pressure medication. Her response, was , "Oh, that's fine you don't need to let us know...only unless the medication will affect you know, like make you drowsy." O.K What is the law? A friend of mine is suspended now for "failure to notify the employer she was on Loritab, for which she has a prescription. Her doctor told her in Indiana it is illegal for employers to require we tell of any (legal)medications taken. This is not a FMLA case. DO I have to tell HR I'm on birth control? I'd like to present our management with a reference or copy of the ADA words which specifically address this subject. Thanks much, frustrated in Indiana

Response from Ms. Breuer

You are under no obligation to tell your employer about any medication that will not affect your ability to fulfill the essential functions of your job. Your HR person understands this, but your manager does not, apparently. Your birth control meds are none of your employer's business.

I can't cite chapter and verse (I'm not a lawyer), but the source you need is HIPAA, not the ADA. It made confidentiality of your medical information more secure and the fines for violating it are stiff.

Pharmacist Violated my privacy
Pre employment medical check up

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint