Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pharmacist Violated my privacy
Jul 5, 2006

My daughter's ex in-laws whom are pharmacists where I use to get my meds, ( the pharmacy keeps records on their computors indefinatly) I'm about 80% sure they showed her on their computer as they have home access to files ,... theyve disclosed my particular med info to her because she told my sister that she knows what type of meds that I take because she stated that she saw it on the computor, and now she wont let me and my wife see the grand babys we are so hurt we feel as though some one dear to us has died,, this is more heart breakining than when we found out of my diagnosis 4 years ago, any legal sugestions ?

Response from Ms. Breuer

If I understand your question: your pharmacist shared information on your diagnosis with your daughter, who apparently has made it through the last 25 years without understanding how HIV is transmitted, and she now refuses you access to your grandchildren?

Of course you're deeply hurt. And she needs better information fast if she's raising 21st century children.

I suggest that you take this story to your pharmacist, explain that sharing your diagnosis with your daughter was a violation of your privacy rights, and explain that you will consider not taking legal action against the pharmacy if the pharmacist educates your daughter about HIV and its transmission and she allows you access to your granchildren. That should start an interesting conversation.

There are several assumptions in your letter that you cannot prove. But if the pharmacy is the source of the information that made your daughter fearful of contact between you and your grandchildren, the pharmacy is where you start. Be clear, firm and don't walk away until you get a satisfactory answer.

Previous
is AIDS defined as disability by...?
Next
Required to notify employer of all medications

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.