Related to Pre-Existing Condition

Hi. I have HIV and I got insurance after I received my positive diagnosis. I have to wait until August before anything related to that will be covered by my insurance company. I am receiving meds through a county care program, but they won't cover anything else until my insurance will cover the bulk of it. Until then, I want to know what is considered "related".

Can I be tested for other STD's at this point, or do I have to wait until August? What about AIDS related cancers, such as lymphoma. If I am tested now, and find out that I have cancer, will insurance cover it?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

The best way to determine what will and won't be covered during your pre-exisitng exclusion period is to contact the insurer and ask. I would think that treatment for other STDs would probably be covered but HIV-related cancers would not. However, the insurance company is the best resource for finding out what your coverage is.

Long term care insurance
Misconception of Life Insurance For HIV/AIDS