Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

am i better off with COBRA or ADAP
May 12, 2006

Thank you for your good work. I quit my part time job 3 months ago and 1 and 1/2 months later, i was diagnosed with hiv+ and have no insurance. I applied for ADAP and pay only $10 for every doctor visit, and ADAP will pay for my medicine. After applying for dental work at APLA today, the conselor told me that i could get COBRA from my old employer since my W-2 showed that i pay for health insurance. Because I have never received any information about my health insurance from my old employer, the counselor told me that i can get an attorney to help me ask for extended health insurance up to 18 months from my old employer. My question is Am i better off with COBRA or ADAP? since i don't know what COBRA will cover for me. The second question is Will doctors prescribe better medicine if i have COBRA than if i have ADAP? Thank your very much.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If your prior employer was subject to COBRA (had at least 20 employees), then he should've extended COBRA to you when your medical coverage ended. You should compare your COBRA benefits to your ADAP benefits to determine which plan would be better for you. Your COBRA benefits would be the same medical benefits you had from your employer as an active employeee. This is because under COBRA, an employer extends his health plan to former employees for a period of up to 18 months after coverage ends at a cost of 102% of premium. You should compare the benefits under your prior plan and the cost to your benefits under ADAP and the cost. APLA could probably assist you with this comparison.

Previous
Previous coverage outside the US
Next
Private Ins. V Medicare

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.