am i better off with COBRA or ADAP

Thank you for your good work. I quit my part time job 3 months ago and 1 and 1/2 months later, i was diagnosed with hiv+ and have no insurance. I applied for ADAP and pay only $10 for every doctor visit, and ADAP will pay for my medicine. After applying for dental work at APLA today, the conselor told me that i could get COBRA from my old employer since my W-2 showed that i pay for health insurance. Because I have never received any information about my health insurance from my old employer, the counselor told me that i can get an attorney to help me ask for extended health insurance up to 18 months from my old employer. My question is Am i better off with COBRA or ADAP? since i don't know what COBRA will cover for me. The second question is Will doctors prescribe better medicine if i have COBRA than if i have ADAP? Thank your very much.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If your prior employer was subject to COBRA (had at least 20 employees), then he should've extended COBRA to you when your medical coverage ended. You should compare your COBRA benefits to your ADAP benefits to determine which plan would be better for you. Your COBRA benefits would be the same medical benefits you had from your employer as an active employeee. This is because under COBRA, an employer extends his health plan to former employees for a period of up to 18 months after coverage ends at a cost of 102% of premium. You should compare the benefits under your prior plan and the cost to your benefits under ADAP and the cost. APLA could probably assist you with this comparison.

Previous coverage outside the US
Private Ins. V Medicare