Previous coverage outside the US

I am planning to relocate to New York, USA on a company transfer. I am currently covered by ALICO in Bahrain (American Life Insurance co., member of AIG). I have been covered continuously for the last 8 years. Will my current coverage be credited towards any pre-existing condition exclusion period in the new insurance policy in New York?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I need more information to fully respond to your question. It sounds like you are transferring from a foreign operation to a U.S. operation of the same company. If that is correct and the U.S. branch has a self-insured health plan, the plan will probably recognize your prior coverage towards any pre-existing condition clause, if it has one (some plans don't have such clauses). In addition, if the ALICO plan is an insured plan provided under a U.S. contract (For example, a U.S. based company can establish an insured plan with a U.S. insurance company that provides medical coverage to expatriates and foreign nationals working overseas.). In that case, the coverage would also be recognized. If you are transferring within your current company, the best way to confirm how your new coverage will work is to ask the Human Resource person who is coordinating your transfer.

Can i apply for SSI disability
am i better off with COBRA or ADAP