Domestic Partner Cobra Coverage and HIV

Maam

My domestic partner and I live in Ft Lauderdale. I am hiv+ and was covered on his company's insurance as a domestic partner. My partner took a new job, their insurance does not cover domestic partners and my COBRA research tells me that COBRA does not BY LAW have to cover me - a Domestic Partner of the Employee. (If we had an adopted child or natural child, THAT child is COBRA eligible...darn, missed that one). I am running out of meds and have had no insurance for 4 months. Getting Individual insurance is not an option I have found being hiv+. Also, my graduate nursing residency program does not allow us to work during school of which I have 6 months left. I own 2 houses and have lots of stock funds/IRA stuff (tax penalties and lost profits if sold now) but little CASH since it is all Government school loans to live on these past 2 yrs. I feel so lost in all this mess and no one believes that this can happen to me when i tell them the situation....

Is there ANY alternative out there that can provide me with Insurance to cover meds and health care??

Nurse Anesthesia Student (and Proud American Citizen!)

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Unfortuantely, an employer does not have to extend COBRA like coverage to a domestic partner nor does an emplooyer have to offer domestic partner coverage to active employees. However, you would be eligible for a HIPAA policy as long as you don't have a break in coverage greater than 63 days. Any insurance company that sells individual policies must offer a HIPAA policy to eligible individuals. Contact a local insurance broker and ask him for information on the HIPAA policies available in your area. Or you could contact Blue Cross or Blue Shield as they are two companies that offer HIPAA policies. However, if are without coverage for more than 63 days coverage, you will not be eligible for a HIPAA policy.

long term disability insurance
Applying for LTD