HEALTH INSURANCE

I WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR BENEFITS AT MY COMPANY IN ABOUT 1 MONTH. RIGHT NOW I HAVE ADAP. DO I NEED TO DISCLOSE TO THE HMO MY STATUS? IF SO, DOES IT GET BACK TO MY EMPLOYER? I KNOW THAT I CAN REMAIN ON ADAP IF THE INSURANCE DOESN'T ACCEPT, BUT I HAVE KIDS THAT NEED COVERAGE AS WELL.

THANK YOU.

K.C.

Response from Mr. Berg

It's really not a matter of disclosing your status to your HMO. While they could determine your diagnosis through treatment records and prescriptions, they have no incentive to disclose this information to your employer and are prevented from doing so. Also, you cannot be dropped from your employers plan because you have a pre-exisiting condition.

Long-term disability nightmare
Benefits in the workplace