life insurance

I overheard an Insurance person telling a co-worker that if you apply for a policy 100,000 or under you dont need blood work. My question is once you have taken a blood test with a company and you are not able to get a policy, Can you then turn around and ask for a policy that does not require a blood test? I hope you understand my question.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Most group life insurance plans have a guaranteed issue amount, i.e., the plan guarantees coverage up to a certain dollar amount regardless of health status. If you apply for a greater amount that requires medical evidence, including bloodwork, if the plan denies you the additional coverage, you should still be covered up to the guaranteed issue amount. Based on your description, it sounds like your company offers coverage up to $100,000. For coverage greater than that, you need medical evidence - a medical questionnaire, bloodwork, etc. If this is the case and you apply for $150,000 and are denied because of a health condition, you should still get the $100,000 of coverage. This is how it typically works. However, review the plan materials you have carefully to determine how it does work under your plan.

A little more information..
Pre-existing Condition