Getting health insurance if I am HIV+ with no job after May

Boy, am I glad I found this site. Thanks. I am retiring at 55 and am not vested in the school retirement program in Arizona. I moved here 3 years ago. For a number of reasons they are not going to issue me a contract at the end of May so I have no choice. I have been covered under BC&S since my previous employ in Minn. for 27 years at one school. Is there anywhere I can go to buy insurance? My retirement program will bring in about $2,000 so I am not low income. have about $97,000 in debts and mortgage. please let me know!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You should have COBRA rights which would allow you to continue your coverage for 18 months at 102% of the premium. At the end of COBRA, you could apply for a policy with any insurer in your area, like Blue Cross. If you aren't eligilbe for coverage at a standard rate due to a health condition, you would be eligible for a HIPAA policy as long as you don't have a break in coverage greater than 63 days. Contact your school's administration to ask them about your COBRA rights.

Why Not Life Insurance?
enrollment period