What is HIPPA Insurance?

Thank you for this amazing service. I have been searching for more than 1 year looking for questions regarding COBRA, health insurance, HIPPA, etc and am soooo relived to find this site.

My question is: I recently came off of COBRA (through my previous employer's health plan). The insurance company (in GA) is offering an "Enhanced Conversion Policy" to me that costs $300 with very high deductibles. Is this the same as the HIPPA plan that the insurance company has to provide?

How can I find another insurance plan that would take me on an individual policy, or is that next to impossible?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

No. That is a conversion policy. You should check with a local insurance broker to find out what HIPAA policies are available to you in Georgia. You will be eligible for a HIPAA policy as long as you don't have a break in coverage greater than 63 days. Even if the policy has a pre-existing condition clause, it will have to recognize your period of prior coverage towards it. HIPAA policies are usually more expensive than standard-rated policies and the benefit levels vary. Blue Cross, Blue Shield as well as local HMOs usually offer HIPAA policies.

Letter of Reasonable Accommodation
diagnosed with aids