Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Letter of Reasonable Accommodation
Mar 14, 2006

My partner disclosed his condition to his manager. Since then her behavior towards him has been quite cruel. She increased his workload 300% to the point he no longer gets an opportunity to have any break during the day or lunch. He went to the director of his department with his concerns, and still no changes in his workload have happened. The only time he gets to eat now is if I take time from my job, and bring him lunch, which doesn't mean he'll get to eat it. He's lost about 25-30 lbs. now, and his medications no longer work. He wants to write a letter requesting Reasonable Accommodation but does not know how to write one. Is there a form letter somewhere that we could use as a guide? I told him that I would do everything I could to help him with this. Since I work for an international delivery company, we decided also that we would send these letters to his employers requesting signatures to verify that they had recieved them and they cannot deny that they did. Could someone help us out, I am really scared that his job is going to be the death of him, and since I've already lost one partner, I don't think I could go through this again. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Nancy, I think this one is yours.

Response from Ms. Breuer

This is just a gruesome story. I'd like to somehow introduce the manager to the receiving end f this kind of treatment, but let's help your partner. The best source I know for sample reasonable accommodation letters is http://www.bkohlenberg.com. Click on "services" to find the sample letters.

Beyond that, though, your partner needs legal representation. ACLU, EEOC, lawyer connected to your local AIDS service organization--take your pick. This is illegal discrimination.

Response from Ms. Breuer

My response remains the same.

Response from Ms. Breuer

There is no new information to add to this. Betty Kohlenberg has great sample letters on her website.

Previous
Purchasing International Health Insurance when living abroad
Next
What is HIPPA Insurance?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.