preemployment questions

Hi, I am an RN and was working as a travelRN, with excellent insurance when I was diagnosed. Recently, I have been approached by 2 hospitals offering applications. On both there was a question,"Have you ever been diagnosed with HIV-AIDS?",with a notation of couse that lying is a fireable offense and negates insurance. Is this legal. Thanks, DS

Response from Ms. Breuer

I'm curious about why they include the question, since turning you down for the job on the basis of your HIV status is definitely not legal. Since they approached you, I suggest that you respond honestly and then write, "My diagnosis does not interfere with my ability to perform the essential functions of the job." They approached you, so the ball is in their court.

Where can I get infromatin about 401K withdraws?
workers perception if working with a individual that has aids