Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Where can I get infromatin about 401K withdraws?
Mar 6, 2006

I work for a small company where I have known the HR person for a long time. While I'm sure she knows of my HIV status I don't feel comfortable asking her this question as I don't want her to know of my intentions in leaving my job and possibly mentioning my plans to my boss.

While I'm healthy and still active I want to take a year off to travel (43yo, HIV+ 16 years now, 664 CD 4, undetectable VL woo hoo!).

I have seen many of my friends regret not having done things while they were active and able. I don't want to have any regrets about things in my life that I didn't do when I could. Anyway back to my question, I know that I can keep insurance via COBRA when I leave and I intend to do so. I'm trying to figure out the smartest way to pay for it. I know that I have read somewhere that you can take a hardship withdrawal from your 401K for medical expenses and education expenses and not have to take the 10% penalty. My question is where can I find those requirements that explain how this should properly be done? I don't have a lot of money in my 401K but want to make the most out of what I do have. I have made the mistake many years ago of withdrawing my 401K money when I changed jobs and want to avoid that as much as possible. Are there any web sites that address this issue or if you could provide insight that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards -Frank

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dear Frank, THis is a great question for someone who spends full time in benefits counseling. We don't have anyone at this forum who does that, but you do have two good resources: your local AIDS service organization (or a large one in your state), which does have benefits counselors, or www.helpwithbenefits, managed by a very experienced benefits counselor who has the chops to answer your question.

Previous
legal rights
Next
preemployment questions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.