Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

situation with agency
Mar 6, 2006

I used to live in Ohio and I applied with this agency that was advertising that they could help people looking for IT jobs. Well, I responded to the ad right away and then I got a call the next day asking if I wanted to come in for an interview - okay, so far, no problem

well, I got there and the "recruiter" told me about 2 different job openings that he was going to check on for me, and I thought with my degree and background that I could definitely do the job. Well, he said he would call me within 2 days and let me know the outcome as to whether or not I would get an interview

well, 2 weeks later after not hearing anything, I decided to call him, and he never called me back. I tried emailing him and got a very rude response and so I called him and he started yelling at me as if I had some nerve following up with him and all he kept saying was "what do you want from me, I can't help you"

but the other thing that bothered me was that they also advertised things like negotiating benefits and salary, and he told me that one of the jobs was paying $9 an hour, and I told him I needed more than that, as I was already making $10 at my current job, and he said that is what it pays and there is no negotiation - now to me, that sounds different than what they advertised in the paper

it turns out that all this guy did was send out my resume to the client that I didn't even know anything about and hope to get a response and didn't even make good on his promise to call me back and let me know what was going on

my question is why would an agency do something like this? Obviously I should not deal with this agency again, and I made a decision not to, and never dealt with them again

but how do agencies stay in business if they treat their applicants like that?

and what kind of advice could you give me when choosing what kind of agencies to deal with in the future?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Agencies like this seek to be middlemen between employers and prospective employees--and be paid for it. Finding a good job means contacting employers directly, letting all your friends know that you're looking--doing your own legwork. You don't need an agency. Polish up that resume, write a good cover letter, and start applying!

Previous
Employment Drug Tests
Next
ADA & Absenteeism Help Fast Please!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.