Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how to answer
Mar 1, 2006

I have recently applied for a job within the federal government. The application process is extensive, and one of the required fields is a medical history. Within the mediacl history, is a question.. Have you ever had, or currently have, hepatitis. Well, I did have hepititis C, but completed treatment and ontained SVR. My question, is whether or not to disclose this information. If I answer yes, it will most likely be held against me. If I answer no, it might come back to haunt me. To what extent do employer go during the investigation process for employement? Will they just look at the history provided, or go into CDC and insurance records? Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.. Thank you in advance

Response from Ms. Breuer

The worst thing you can do on an application for insurance is lie about your medical history. On a job application, that's more of a gray area. The feds have made questions like that illegal for other employers, but not for themselves. Cute, huh?

An employer does not have access to medical records. Let your own conscience be your guide on completing that blank. Just don't ever lie when the application is for health, life or disability insurance. Those folks DO have access to your medical records.

Previous
advice please
Next
Medical Information Bank

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.