how to answer

I have recently applied for a job within the federal government. The application process is extensive, and one of the required fields is a medical history. Within the mediacl history, is a question.. Have you ever had, or currently have, hepatitis. Well, I did have hepititis C, but completed treatment and ontained SVR. My question, is whether or not to disclose this information. If I answer yes, it will most likely be held against me. If I answer no, it might come back to haunt me. To what extent do employer go during the investigation process for employement? Will they just look at the history provided, or go into CDC and insurance records? Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.. Thank you in advance

Response from Ms. Breuer

The worst thing you can do on an application for insurance is lie about your medical history. On a job application, that's more of a gray area. The feds have made questions like that illegal for other employers, but not for themselves. Cute, huh?

An employer does not have access to medical records. Let your own conscience be your guide on completing that blank. Just don't ever lie when the application is for health, life or disability insurance. Those folks DO have access to your medical records.

advice please
Medical Information Bank