Police

I was recently diagnosed. I just wanted to make sure that the rest of my dreams were not crushed. I want to join the NYPD. Am i allowed to, or will I be rejected for being positive?

Response from Ms. Breuer

The fact that you're positive is none of their business. More to the point: how is your stamina? You'll have a partner on the job and you two will need to rely completely on each other. If your body says you can do it, then pursue the dream. And if someday your body says you don't have the stamina anymore to do the whole job, that's the time to look at switching specialties. Please read the responses on this forum about whether people in certain kinds of jobs need to tell their employers, and about pre-employment questionnaires and blood tests. I think you'll be surprised. You have the right to keep the information about your HIV status to yourself.

ER DOC AND DISABILITY
medicare