Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Police
Mar 1, 2006

I was recently diagnosed. I just wanted to make sure that the rest of my dreams were not crushed. I want to join the NYPD. Am i allowed to, or will I be rejected for being positive?

Response from Ms. Breuer

The fact that you're positive is none of their business. More to the point: how is your stamina? You'll have a partner on the job and you two will need to rely completely on each other. If your body says you can do it, then pursue the dream. And if someday your body says you don't have the stamina anymore to do the whole job, that's the time to look at switching specialties. Please read the responses on this forum about whether people in certain kinds of jobs need to tell their employers, and about pre-employment questionnaires and blood tests. I think you'll be surprised. You have the right to keep the information about your HIV status to yourself.

Previous
ER DOC AND DISABILITY
Next
medicare

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.