ADAP & APIC & Job Insurance

I have an opportunity to get my job insurance (HMO) premiums paid by enrolling in APIC Insurance. I am presently insured by ADAP (NY) and Cigna (job insurance). As of 1/1/06, I have elected HMO coverage with Cigna thru my job because I need the total coverage that an HMO gives because I may have to see different specialists for office visits as well as procedures that are not covered by ADAP coverage. Most ADAP coverage is in a clinic setting only and doesn't cover procedures or mammograms or other procedures that doctors may need me to have. With HIV you wind up getting other diseases because of lowered immune system, not necessarily because it runs in your family. APIC will pay for the premiums IF the total amount of premiums (medical, dental & vision) are 4% of your gross salary. If I do qualify, how do I go about letting my benefits manager know about my HIV status (if they don't already know)? APIC needs to get a letter from my employer stating that they are paying 50% or more for my particular health insurance (HMO), as well as what my total monthly premiums are, and a letter from me stating that paying these premiums are a financial hardship. I don't want to jeopardize my position in the company by asking for this information in writing but it would put me in a position to have to let the benefits manager know about my other insurance, ADAP. Since this insurance is strictly for people with HIV/AIDS and is available in every state in the USA, they would have to be told about my being HIV+ and I would need to keep both insurances in order to be totally covered for all possible types of health appointments and procedures. Is there a way to ask for this information and be totally assured that my health information will remain confidential? I would probably be reimbursed the cost of the premiums after they have been deducted bi-weekly. What is the best approach for me to take??? I probably will need to know fairly soon, as I will need to get this letter from my benefits manager after my first paycheck this month (1/12/06) which will have the new deductions on my paystub. Thank you for any help you can give me with this delicate matter. Altho this is the year 2006 and I am located in New York City, there is still stigma attached to revealing one's HIV status and there are only a couple of people that I work with that I have personally told about my HIV+ status and they are sworn to keeping it to themselves as I have asked. Please respond asap. Thank you very much for your time and attention to this pressing matter.

Response from Ms. Breuer

I've just responded to an almost-identical question at this forum. Please check under "Confidentiality and Disclosure" for the answer, which will fit your situation. Thanks for writing.

Nurse with HIV? please help
disclosure auto accident