Nurse with HIV? please help

Ladies-

You all are great!

I had a question about nurses etc and taking blood from people.

I will be short and to the point. Today I went to the Dr. and he reffered me to a company to take my blood for my yearly HIV test. I noticed the lady had both gloves on at first and I looked away due to myself not liking the blood go into the tube, 30 seconds later or so she put that piece of gauze on the spot and I noticed she hap one glove off and hands looked dry.

I live in Chicago if that matters, and I wanted to know are the nurses required to wear the gloves the whole time? Could she have done something deliberatly? I didnt see if both gloves were on when she stuck the needle.

So all in all do I have to get tested again in 3 months or start PEP? im confused and worried.

Thanks- Dewey

Response from Ms. Breuer

Blood tests are performed using new/unused needles and syringes. I'm not sure what you're worried about, but you were not at risk for exposure to HIV in the situation as you describe it.

The gloves are for her protection. She's the one who's dealing with other people's blood all day.

What do you think she could have done "deliberately"? When you have a clear answer to that question, please take it to your own health care provider. You may need help managing anxiety if having blood drawn by a phlebotomist gave you this much worry.

HIV disclosure to HR on job
ADAP & APIC & Job Insurance