diagnosis / medical condition

when i call in sick and the employer is requesting a doctor cert with a diagnosis on it or medical condition, do I have to supply them with that information. I believe that violating mr privacy, HIPAA. Is there a law that protects me?

please help

Response from Ms. Breuer

Any medical note that your employer requires to cover an absence only needs to state that you are fit to return to work. The doctor who gives you the note should never state what you were treated for or what you have. Never. Yes, a note that gave your diagnosis would be a HIPAA violation.

exposure at work
HIV disclosure to HR on job