The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Private Disability, DC Govt and Social Security Payments
Jan 31, 2006

hi there-

I was diagnosed with HIV in 1988 and have not had any serious OIs (although i do have neuropathy,lypodystrophy, balance and some cognitive dysfunction). I have become resistant to almost all drugs and my T-cells are now 8 and i have a viral load of 345,000. I just entered a salvage therapy trial with Tibotec for a year. My dr recently broached the subject of disability and I will pursue this with him and my employer -- which has a FMLA 3 month plan, short-term and then long term disability insurance program. My question is: if i receive private disability insurance can i apply for SS benefits and what about DC govt? i am confused about how they mesh with each other. thanks in advance!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Even if you are receiving disability benefits through an employer-sponsored group plan or your own indvidiiual disability policy, you are still eligible to apply for Social Security disability benefits. If you are insured under Social Security and are disabled (as defined by the SSA), you would be eligible after a 5 calendar month waiting period. Also, once you have received SS disability benefits for 29 months, you would be eligible for Medicare. If you decide to go on disability, yous should also immediately apply for SS disability. One fact you should be aware of is that most disability plans (employer-sponsored) include an offset for SS disability benefits.

Supplemental Disability policy pre-existing condition

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint