HIPAA Insurance Cost?

We live in FLA. My partner is HIV positive, and I am negative. We both are covered under a group plan with my employer. I need a career change that involves to be self-employed. Under Cobra, our cost will be $670 a month for both of us. Before I make a final decision about quiting the job, I need to know how much insurance under HIPAA would cost for him. Can you indicate what a monthly price range can be for him? I ounce heard from an insurance agent that it could be up to $1,200 or $1,500 a month. Can this be right? The only medication he takes is Combivir. I guess the new insurance plan for myself will separate to his, is this right? What are a few insurance companies in FLA you suggest I contact? Under HIPAA, are we certain he will be covered for the rest of his life? Thank you!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Since you will be eligible for COBRA, you would have to exhaust your COBRA benefits before you would be eligible for a HIPAA policy. However, if your employer doesn't offer COBRA coverage to your partner, your partner would be eligble for a HIPAA policy when his coverage ends. The cost of a HIPAA policy varies by zip code, plan design, age, etc. The best way to get an idea of the cost would be to contact a local insurance broker and ask him to provide you with the options available in your area and the associated premiums.

insurance options for self-employed
SSN Disability