Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pre existing clauses
Jan 5, 2006

I am currently employed with BCBS insurance which is doing a good job of covering medical issues I have with Multiple sclerosis I was diagnosed with 1.5 years ago. I'm certain at some point I am going to leave this employment, and have big concerns about insurance, and nobody wanting to touch me on an individual policy. My wife just went back to work full time , adn she is being offered family coverage thru her new employer at a fairly hefty price. My question is this, should I go ahead and pick up this policy if its being offered now, for fear that it may not at some point in the future. Or can I safely wait untill I need to leave the workforce assuming her benifit package doesnt change. I've read they couldn't block me more than 36 months from diagnosis at most anyway. I live in Tennessee if that matters. Thanks for your time.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

There is no need for your wife to elect family coverage at this time. You can continue in your current plan and if you were to lose this coverage because you were no longer employed, that would be considered a family status change and you would be eligible to enroll in your wife's plan at that time under a special enrollment feature. In addition, your wife's plan probably has an annual open enrollment which would allow you to enroll during that period (ususally for a January 1 effective date) even if you had not lost your coverage. All of these enrollment options should be clearly explained in the summary plan description your wife received that describes the benefits she has in the health plan, including eligiblity, enrollment, special enrollment, annual open enrollment, etc.

Previous
INSURANCE AND FAMILY
Next
Life Insurance For HIV/AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.