Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

INSURANCE AND FAMILY
Jan 5, 2006

I am a 23 year old college graduate who was just recently diagnosed wtih HIV. I am no where near ready to tell friends or family but i am scared they may find out without me knowing. I am currently on my own policy under my guardians companies' group policy. I am worried that if i use this insurance for doctor visits and medications that it will get abck to my guardian bc he owns the company and therefore oversees all insurance policies and what not. Will it get back to him? Secondly i was given the optin to be enrolled in two programs which will pay for all of my medications, my quiestion regarding these options is that if i enroll in one will my current insurance company find out and revoke my policy? I am jsut so scared bc i want to take care of myself but i want to do it withouth my family finding out. Please get back to me ASAP.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It is difficult to tell you whether or not your guardian will be able to get claim specific information on you. If the plan is self-insured and he is the administrator or plan sponsor, he would be able to get the information to the extent that it is needed in the administration of the plan. However, HIPAA provides a lot of privacy protections and most insurers and administrators will not release participant specific information unless they have a signed HIPAA release form from that participant allowing them to disclose certain information. If the plan is a fully insured plan, it is even more difficult and unlikely that your guardian could access this information.

If you enroll in another program/plan, the best way to determine the impact on your current coverage is to review the plan's provisions on coordination of benefits, i.e., how a plan works when a plan participant is covered under more than one plan. In fact, you should closely review this provision under all plans before enrollling in multiple programs.

Previous
Small Company Insurance Rates
Next
pre existing clauses

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.