ExPat Just Diagnosed

I have been living overseas for the last 11 years, 7 in Japan and most recently here in Thailand. One month ago I was diagnosed with HIV. My test levels indicated the immediate start of meds, just starting them this week. Luckily, they are affordable enough (about US$100/month) here in Thailand that I do not have to worry about insurance yet. My local insurance policy does not cover HIV.

My question: what happens when and if I return to the USA? Relocation and home set-up costs alone will be nearly unmanageable....home, furniture, car, etc. What am I to expect in regards to insurance and US healthcare costs for treatment.

This is a major concern of mine. Should things become bad, am I destined to live my remaining days alone in Thailand where healthcare is somewhat more affordable?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Unless you return to the U.S. with a job with a company that offers health coverage under a group health plan, you could have difficulty getting medical coverage.

denial of enrollment vs. denial of re-enrollment
LONG TERM CARE INSURANCE VENDORS?