Will be losing health insurance from parent.

Currently I am enrolled in college and covered under my mothers insurance. I am 22 and can be covered as a dependent so long as I am enrolled in school fulltime until the age of 23. I am also working fulltime thru a temp agency and have no other insurance but my mothers. She may not be working at her job for much longer do to a restructuring.

My partner has suggested adding me to his medical insurance through his job as a domestic partner. Although I have not been treated for HIV, if necessary my partners insurnace should cover me should I need medical attention correct?

I reside in New York. My current insurance is Oxford and my partners insurance is Aetna.

Do I have to cancel my insurance w/oxford since I am clasified my mothers dependent in order to be added to my partners Aetna insurance?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you are covered under both your mother's plan and your partner's plan, there would be coordination of benefits between the two plans. One would be considered primary and pay first and the other would pay second. Which plan pays first depends on how the plans define coordination of benefits. However, you need to make sure you meet the definition of dependent under your mother's plan and/or domestic partner under your partner's plan.

If you become covered under your partner's plan, as long as you don't have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days, no pre-exisiting condition clause would apply to you under your partner's plan.

Another option you would have once you no longer qualify as a dependent under your mother's plan would be to elect COBRA coverage (up to 36 months).

Insurance Results
HIPAA for domestic partners