Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will be losing health insurance from parent.
Nov 22, 2005

Currently I am enrolled in college and covered under my mothers insurance. I am 22 and can be covered as a dependent so long as I am enrolled in school fulltime until the age of 23. I am also working fulltime thru a temp agency and have no other insurance but my mothers. She may not be working at her job for much longer do to a restructuring.

My partner has suggested adding me to his medical insurance through his job as a domestic partner. Although I have not been treated for HIV, if necessary my partners insurnace should cover me should I need medical attention correct?

I reside in New York. My current insurance is Oxford and my partners insurance is Aetna.

Do I have to cancel my insurance w/oxford since I am clasified my mothers dependent in order to be added to my partners Aetna insurance?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you are covered under both your mother's plan and your partner's plan, there would be coordination of benefits between the two plans. One would be considered primary and pay first and the other would pay second. Which plan pays first depends on how the plans define coordination of benefits. However, you need to make sure you meet the definition of dependent under your mother's plan and/or domestic partner under your partner's plan.

If you become covered under your partner's plan, as long as you don't have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days, no pre-exisiting condition clause would apply to you under your partner's plan.

Another option you would have once you no longer qualify as a dependent under your mother's plan would be to elect COBRA coverage (up to 36 months).

Previous
Insurance Results
Next
HIPAA for domestic partners

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.