health insurance for poz self-employed

I am currently on COBRA from my previous employer and have been successfully self employed for a year. What health insurance options are available to me when my COBRA expires? I understand that I can extend my Cobra coverage another 18 months with my insurer (Blue Cross). However I am afraid I won't be able to afford any good coverage once the Cobra has expired.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am not sure what you are referring to with respect to "another 18 months of COBRA." COBRA is available for 18 months (36 if loss of coverage is due to divorce or a dependent child is no longer eligible for coverage). In addition, if the COBRA beneficiary is determined to be disabled by the Social Security Administration within the first 60 days of COBRA, there is an 11-month extension at the end of the 18-month initial period. Once COBRA ends, as long as you don't have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days, you could purchase a HIPAA policy from any insurer that offers individual policies in your area.

Switching Coverage
Drastic Insurance Changes