Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

health insurance for poz self-employed
Nov 22, 2005

I am currently on COBRA from my previous employer and have been successfully self employed for a year. What health insurance options are available to me when my COBRA expires? I understand that I can extend my Cobra coverage another 18 months with my insurer (Blue Cross). However I am afraid I won't be able to afford any good coverage once the Cobra has expired.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am not sure what you are referring to with respect to "another 18 months of COBRA." COBRA is available for 18 months (36 if loss of coverage is due to divorce or a dependent child is no longer eligible for coverage). In addition, if the COBRA beneficiary is determined to be disabled by the Social Security Administration within the first 60 days of COBRA, there is an 11-month extension at the end of the 18-month initial period. Once COBRA ends, as long as you don't have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days, you could purchase a HIPAA policy from any insurer that offers individual policies in your area.

Previous
Switching Coverage
Next
Drastic Insurance Changes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.