HIV+ Massage Therapist

So it is 6:30 p.m. October 10th, about 3 hours ago I was diagnosed with HIV. In this little amount of time this site has helped me alot, but I am a massage therapist as well as a teaching assistant for shiatsu at a school. I do know about contraindications for people getting a massage, but with current state of mind I cannot think of what this means for me and my career. Is it ok for my to massage people? Obviously not if I have a cut or something but without ? Do I need to let the school know? How do I go about doing this? I am so scared!

Response from Ms. Breuer

You must have a zillion questions swirling in your head. I'm glad you asked these.

Don't tell anyone at school about your diagnosis. Your employer/school has no need to know, and you need to get used to the idea before you decide to disclose to anyone except friends and family, and even then only when/if you feel ready.

Yes, you can massage people.If you have a cut, deal with it the same way you did before you knew your diagnosis: wash it and cover it. Done.

Disclosure of HIV status is not necessary to anyone except your health care provider and anyone with whom you've shared sex or needles. As I'm sure you know by reading more on this site, there's help available if you don't want to disclose to partners face to face. Please write again if you have more questions.

Risk of infection from paper cut on x-ray?
Doctor with HIV